To TikTok or not to TikTok, that is the question…..
And for many of you reading this, you might be thinking… ANOTHER social media platform?
First things first, deep breath. This post is not about why you should incorporate TikTok into your marketing campaign, it’s to help you explore if it’s something you could do that makes sense for your marketing efforts.
We’re here to help you navigate all things social media that fit your unique business, market, time, energy, personality, budget, and resources.
TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video and its mission is simple: “To inspire creativity and bring joy.” It’s quickly become one of the most popular streaming apps.
This video platform combines fun dancing videos with real-life issues, daily vlogs, businesses, helpful hints, and much more. It can help small and large businesses skyrocket their brand by catching the eye of someone scrolling, and that’s where this FREE social media marketing platform comes in handy.
Here are a few reasons why we love TikTok for small businesses:
- The algorithm on TikTok makes it easy to receive exposure.
- Once you figure out the app, it’s very user-friendly.
- You can build a following of like-minded people to help grow your brand, and theirs.
- You don’t have to come up with your own ideas; you can follow trends.
Here are challenges that you need to know for TikTok as a marketing tool:
- Consistency is key; posting at least three times a week maximizes your engagement.
- Mirroring posts with trending hashtags/music is what gets buzz (which is a lot of editing and on-the-fly creation, time influencers have more than small businesses).
- Time and resources spent putting into every video are hefty (at least an hour plus is what often yields a 15-second video).
- It’s important to be “on-site” for a small business; the warehouse, office, employees, etc. to show the ins and outs of a small business. This depends on how much you want to disclose.
- No picture slideshows, these need to be well-thought-out videos.
So while it can be a fabulous marketing vehicle, know that just like any great social media tool, it’s only great when it’s driven (and driven well).
Great ideas are only great if they are executed brilliantly!
TikTok offers unique exposure that other apps like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn can’t.
It creates a video-based platform for your brand and business that can be fun and creative, whereas other social media platforms keep it more “professional”.
If you’re ready to be consistent and creative, TikTok could very well be the marketing platform for you.