- According to this Quora article http://www.quora.com/What-are-the-main-differences-between-Vimeo-and-YouTube: “Beside having a much larger and more active community + a system that rewards engagement (commenting ,rating, FAVing,etc),…”
- YouTube has over 62 million likes on Facebook.
- File Size : 2 GB and Time limit on videos (15 minutes unless you’re a partner in which case you can time limit is unlimited.)
- Monetization : YouTubers can make money by becoming a partner and allowing advertisment on their videos.
- On Youtube you’ll be able to find content from almost every country, variety of topics and highly variable quality.
- Many companies and even government departments have Youtube channels.
- Youtube is very strict about copyright issues, Youtube will even remove the audio of your video if its copyrighted
- Localization : Youtube provides customized interface for 24 countries as well as a worldwide version
- Censorship : Currently censored in 5 counties – China, Iran, Libya, Tunisia, and Turkmenistan
- Content : personal vlogs, amature footage, clips from tv shows, music videos, cell phone videos, mashups.
- Account types : Basic account offers 500 MB/week upload space and 1 HD video upload per week. The paid accounts are Vimeo Plus: $59.95 / year and Vimeo Pro: $199.00 a year
- Vimeo has over 99K likes on Faceobook.
- File Size: 500 MB/Week and time limit on videos is 15 minutes unless you’re a partner in which case you can time limit is unlimited.
- Monetization: Vimeo’s terms of services clearly states; Non Commercial Use Only. “If you need a site to power your business’ videos, please try one of the many commercial video hosts out there. We remove commercial content that violates our Guidelines without warning.”
- Vimeo is very strict regarding personal create content
- Many professional videographers use Vimeo to showcase their work
- Vimeo is like flicker for videographers
Here is an example of how Old Spice represents their brand on Vimeo. Old Spice hired TV personality and actor, Terry Crews, to represent their brand on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/terrycrews. Terry also appears in Old Spice TV commercials. And be sure to note the “Old Spice Danger Zone” promotion on the TV Screen in the image below.