It’s way more fun to work in a culture and environment that encourages humor. It’s also a useful and productive marketing strategy. An article by Forbes “10 Reasons Why Humor is a Key to Success at Work” shares why allowing people to be more open with tasteful humor in the workplace can help a business flourish.
The ideal workspace involves balancing the art of allowing respectful humor, taking yourself too seriously and just plain having fun.
Below are Forbes’ 10 reasons why humor is a key to success at work:
- People will enjoy working with you. This is especially true when you are enjoy what you do.
- Humor is a potent stress buster. According to Forbes, laughing creates a cognitive shift of stressors in the body.
- It is humanizing. All sides can seek common ground using humor (properly).
- It puts others at ease. Humor is a great tool for easing tension especially when conflicts arise.
- It encourages creative thinking. Studies show that humor is a major factor in creative thinking.
- It helps build trust. Effective use of humor lets your authentic-self shine through.
- It boosts morale. Humor can lower retention at work if employees are laughing and having fun!
- People who use humor tend to be more approachable. Honest and open people are often surrounded by the same people.
- Humor can allow your company to stand out. Using humor as a strategy, businesses can leverage brand loyalty.
- It can increase productivity. Humor creates an upbeat culture that can increase “out of the box” thinking, camaraderie and the sharing of ideas.
At Web Marketing Therapy, we knows how to get the humor flowing – heck, we have to! Web work involves tech challenges, difficult clients (we love our clients, but sometimes we deal with behavioral issues!)
It’s not uncommon for the entire team to chuckle through email (we joke in hashtags and send a lot of videos and photos amongst each other) and via social media (especially on Funny Friday)! Laughing helps us relax, have a good belly laugh and get on with our day with a smile.
Please share any humor at work stories here. We would love to hear them.