According to Ken McGaffin from SearchEngineWatch.com,”many people today recognize that search engine optimization (SEO) and public relations (PR) have much to offer each other.” And we 100% agree with him.
McGaffin recently shared a list of “10 Reasons Why Public Relations is a ‘Must-do’ for SEO in 2013“, and here is a quick recap of his list:
- #1. The PR Industry is Definitely ‘Getting it’ – Mike Cherenson, former Chair and CEO PRSA, states: “Public relations professionals are skilled storytellers and content generators and should be a part of every SEO effort,” he said. “The future of SEO is not in the technology, it’s in the ability to tell stories that readers and Google will find interesting… and that’s public relations.”
- #2. There is a Tremendous Synergy Between SEO and PR. Simple formula: Newsworthy Story + Linked Keywords = Success
- #3. Editorial Links Bring a Big SEO Boost. PERIOD.
- #4. There’s a Big Cascade Effect. McGaffin shares: “if you get your story covered in one prominent media outlet, you’ll quickly see a cascade of similar stories and links spring up.” WMT has witnessed this, just ask us about it.
- #5. You Win Bragging Rights For Your Client. WIN for the client and WIN for you.
- #6. PR Skills Can be Learned – or at Least Understood – Easily. It is always best to learn from the best, so partner with a PR expert and SEO expert to make sure all of the bases are covered.
- #7. It’s Easy to Partner With an Up and Coming PR Person.
- #8. You’ll Build Media Contacts That You Can Use Time And Time Again. Larry Kim of WordStream, shares “Blasting out press releases is over-rated. What you need to do is get to know the reporters or bloggers you’re targeting.” It is more beneficial to build relationships with the media and journalists that you are targeting.
- #9. It Strengthens and Extends Your Relationship With the Client.
- #10. It Opens up Additional Income Streams.