February 10th, 2012
by Jennie Jacobs
I partake in social media. Apparently huge amounts of the population are partaking as well. It is becoming increasingly rare to find someone not on any sort of social media these days. According to a lovely round up of interesting social media statistics from AdAdge.com there are 800 million active Facebook users, with 200 million of them added in 2011.
Woah. That’s a lot.
My boyfriend isn’t falling for it though. He steadfastly believes that it just isn’t for him, despite my repeated attempts to get him to join. But still, he is not fully without social media. His one and only golden jewel of social media is his Instagram account, a social media app for iPhone and iPad that allows you to take and share pictures with friends.
Regardless of the Kyle’s (aka: non-Facebookers) of the world, it’s hard to deny the power of social media for business and for pleasure.
Sarah Evans of AdAge.com collected an impressive array of social media stats that I found thoroughly impressive. I thought I’d share some of my favorites with you to start off your weekend of social media posting (You can see the article here for source info).
- Business to Consumer Facebook results are 30% higher than average on Sundays.
- 23% of overall internet usage is devoted to time spent on a social networks or blogs.
- What people are retweeting: 92% retweet interesting content, 84% retweet humor, 66% retweet personal connection, 21% retweet celebrity status, 32% of retweets offered incentive and 26% of retweets were because some asked them to “Please RT”.
- Auto-posting things to Facebook decreases likes and comments by 70%
- There are over 100 million active Twitter users. 40% of which aren’t actually Tweeting but simply reading what is going on in their feed.
- 95% of Facebook Wall posts by fans are not answered by the brands walls they post on (!!)
- Consumers who use social media apps (Twitter, Foursquare, Urban Spoon etc) dine out more often and are more likely to be return customers.
- 20% of Google searches made every day have been NEVER been searched for before.
As you can see people are really using their social media! And it helps to be aware of some of these statistics to better utilize social media for your business. The above statistic that states that 95% of wall posts by fans are not answered by brands (Source allfacebook.com) boggles my mind! I understand that some brands are huge and inundated with wall posts, but social media (and marketing) is all about relationships and sending someone a thanks or answering a question can be a great way to connect with a new or existing customer!
Paying attention to how and why people are using social media is the first step to creating and leveraging social media that works for your business or organization.
So keep reading!
To check out more interesting social media statistics visit the AdAge.com article Stats of the Day: 50 New Social-Media Stats to Kick-start Your Slide Deck.