March 27th, 2012
by Jennie Jacobs
Blogging is the cornerstone for great content marketing on the web… if you know how to utilize it properly. Used right, a blog can boost your organizations visibility on the web, position you as credible or an expert in your field and boost SEO. We’ve talked before about why content is key; “Quality content that educates, entertains and inspires is the type of thing viewers, readers, clients, customers and buyers want” and you have the power to supply that when you blog.
One of our favorite things to do here at Web Marketing Therapy is to do trainings with individuals, organizations and as workshops. Educating and empowering others to rock the web is rewarding and a ton of fun! As such, during a recent blog training, I decided I would “multitask” my blog training agenda as a chance to teach our readers some great tips and tricks for Wordpress blogging.
Whether you are an avid contributor to the blog-o-sphere or starting fresh the quick tips and tricks below offer something for everyone.
Side note: Wordpress is a free blogging tool used by many to blog to their hearts content. I realize that many of you may not use Wordpress for your blog, nevertheless you can apply many of these tips to all blogging platforms.
Why Blogging Rules:
- It’s Free!
- You can answer commonly search questions and direct your clients to the answers.
- Blogs build a community around interesting content.
- Mentioning others in blogs can build partnerships with other experts and relationships with customers/readers.
- Blogs boost credibility (“Hey! Your organization really knows what it’s talking about!”).
- Multitasking Marketing ® – repurpose, reuse and recycle killer content easily!
- Make announcements to your followers quickly and easily (“I’m speaking at an event next month, come see!”)
- And much, much more!
Logging In and Moving Around:
- Explore your workspace and familiarize yourself with the basics before you begin.
- Adding a new post and editing the posts is as simple as a click on the link:
Writing a Post and the Accoutrement:
- When prepping a new post always remember:
- Don’t copy and paste directly from a Word doc, paste into Text Edit or Notepad first to remove hidden characters, and then format in Wordpress (bullet points, italics etc.)
- Title advisory: keep titles under 7 words for SEO optimization
- Title will automatically become the permalink (or url) for the blog post – if you edit the title later make sure you edit the permalink to be “matchy-matchy” with the title
- How to edit a post: This is where all of your posts – drafts or published – live. Click on the title to edit the post, even after it is published:
- What types of categories and tags to use on posts: Be consistent with categories and tags to keeps things easy to find for readers, but tags can be created for newsworthy things too that you won’t write about often. Examples: Santa Barbara Fiesta 2012, or Flower and Plant Expo San Francisco
- Where to add tags:
- How to create a hyperlink: Highlight the keyphrase you would like to turn into a hyperlink. Click the Chain icon in the tool bar (see highlight below):
- Make sure to always have your links open in new window and add the highlighted copy as the “title” in the window popup for and SEO boost:
- How to upload a photo: Simply click on the “Insert Image” icon in the tool bar and browse to your image folder: see the highlighted icon below:
- Name your photos with keyphrases in mind and add alternate text every time!
- How to schedule the post to go out at a later date: Be strategic about when you send out a new post – if you write late on a Friday night, chances are people won’t see it – so you can schedule it to go out Sunday night (note: a lot of people check social media on Sunday nights) or Monday morning by clicking the “Edit” link next to “publish immediately” area in the highlighted picture below:
- Save frequently (although Wordpress does have an automatic saving feature, always cover your bum).
- “Preview” to test links and check formatting then hit Publish!!
Healthy SEO Tips and Tricks:
- Keywords and keyphrases to boost SEO: think strategically about keywords and phrases that people may be searching for that is relevant to your topic. Are you a yoga instructor in Santa Barbara offering group classes? Think about phrases like Santa Barbara group yoga, Santa Barbara yoga instructor, etc.
- Incorporate keywords into posts, tags and hyperlinks whenever you can, but keep in mind that usability on your visitor’s end comes first. Don’t incorporate a link in a post just for the sake of it, make sure it is relevant and integrates into the writing!
- Link to outside sources (it’s healthy and promotes blogging BFF’s aka: partnerships with others!)
- Pick a theme for your blog: no one wants to read another “company” blog. If you are a yoga instructor, maybe the theme for your blog is “Incorporating Yoga Everyday” – offer advice and exercise tips for people to use at all times.
- Give your blog an authentic voice: write with you in first person to help to connect with readers!
- Have fun with it!
- And remember “Blogging isn’t a sprint, it’s a marathon.”
Now I want to know what best practices do you implement for your blog? What is your blog theme? What creative ways do share your blog with the world?
Tell me in the comments section below or Tweet me @jenniejacobs